Thanks to an ever growing network of public charging stations around the country, and the ability to plug into regular home power points, EV journeys are possible to almost anywhere in New Zealand.
Public Charging stations
The interactive map below from PlugShare shows public charging stations around New Zealand where you can charge up your Zilch car while you’re out and about. Download the Plugshare App to plan your journey out of town, and view charging units while you’re on the road.
Rapid Chargers (DC)
Pay to use DC Chargers are available around New Zealand thanks to ChargeNet. Free DC Fast Chargers are also available in certain locations. If you’re heading out of town, sign-up for a ChargeNet account before you leave.
FAST Chargers (AC)
Public charging ettiquette
Keeping mindful of other charging station users
- Charging, not parking – Always observe posted time limits and move your car once charged or once the time limit has been reached.
- Don’t unplug other cars – Unless they have finished charging or you have permission.
- Check-in when you check-out – If you’re leaving your car, check-in on plugshare so others can get in touch, if needed.
- Report faults – If a charger is not working, report faults to the company supplying the charge and on Plugshare.
- Keep it neat & tidy – Don’t leave litter at charging stations. Stow cables neatly when you’re done.
- First come, first served – If a charging station is busy, wait your turn. Observe if anyone else is already waiting.
Charging at home
If you’re taking a Zilch car home overnight, you can charge up at home using the same basic house-plug you charge your mobile phone or laptop with.
Zilch cars come equipped with a home charging cable in the boot.
Charging Zilch cars at home is not ideal if you’re in a hurry to get a boost – approximately 12kms of range is added to the battery per hour – making home charging good for overnight top-ups.
Charging at Zilch hubs
During your booking, you can charge at Zilch hubs with Zilch AC charging units.
There is no cost for charging Zilch cars at Zilch hubs as part of your booking.